- Diana competently participated in discussions regarding clinical and functional vision reports from a range of agencies. During discussions, Diana efficiently identified the social, emotional and physical implications and made suitable recommendations regarding student competencies and needs.
- Diana competently interpreted clinical vision reports, functional reports, class observations/analysis and in addition, acknowledged cultural backgrounds and EAL/D to guide planning quality lessons with significance.
- Diana displayed excellent initiative in liaising with all stakeholders of the educational team to develop educational plans for students with vision impairment.
- Diana competently wrote SMART goals for students always utilising all information, assessments and observations available, including the Australian Curriculum outcomes.
- Diana ensured all SMART goals were measurable and work samples such as sentences the student brailed, were used as evidence towards the progress and achievement of goals.
- Diana confidently and creatively planned structured and sequenced learning programs specific to each students’ needs and goals. Diana proficiently planned a sequence of lessons on early Braille literacy development for a Kindergarten student who is blind and a refugee. Diana’s program targeted individual student need and scaffolds were evident in the planning to support the learning process of the student.
- Diana successfully planned lessons across a variety of Expanded Core Curriculum areas including technology, compensatory skills, sensory efficiency and self-determination and Orientation and Mobility.
- Diana competently displayed teaching strategies such as concise learning intensions, clear expectations and the ability to get the student back on task as needed. Learning activities were always age appropriate, fun, engaging and students could achieve success. This motivated the students during Diana’s lessons and positive praise/reinforcement was always given.
- Diana effectively collaborated with various class teachers to develop individualized adjustments to teaching programs. Diana openly discussed and evaluated adjustments with teachers, ISTVs and students in primary school and high school.
Diana displayed flexibility and the ability to make adjustments to further enhance student learning both ‘on the go’ and planned, to improve access to teaching programs.
- Diana demonstrated excellent communication skills and meaningfully contributed to conversations regarding sensitive issues with students.
- Diana was present during conversations with parents from a non-English speaking background and recognises the importance of having an interpreter to ensure the parents can be engaged in all parts of the educative process.
- Diana maintained observation, lesson and class notes that could be used to thoroughly inform parents of their child’s progress at a vision support review meeting.
- Diana created and maintained a supportive and safe learning environment by always having high expectations for the student and modelling high expectations to others.
- Diana always spoke to the students with respect and at an age appropriate level.
- Diana supported student participation and promoted autonomy by making reasonable adjustments to ensure student success. Diana further promoted independence during learning activities by actively scaffolding when necessary.
- Diana showed a willingness to upskill on any assistive technology caseload students were using.
- Diana gained experience with the Onyx HD and was able to identify and suggest tips to improve its effectiveness in the classroom. In addition, - Diana also recognised the importance of future directions and how the equipment could be adapted as the student progressed though their school years.
- Diana demonstrated an interest and understanding of the process involved to acquire assistive technology for students in a NSW Department of Education School.
- Diana provided timely, effective and meaningful feedback to all students. Feedback was a combination of ongoing feedback during the learning activity and feedback at the completion of activities. The combination of this timely feedback ensured students could re-enforce skills, correct skills and be motivated to work towards and achieve new skills.
- Diana competently used formative and summative assessment to evaluate and modify teaching and learning practices. Diana actively participated in conversations with ISTVs, class teachers and SLSOs regarding student progress and competently identified future directions for learning.
- Diana has excellent interpersonal skills and worked collaboratively with all stakeholders of the educational team. Diana liaised confidently and professionally with teachers, SLSOs, executive staff, students, learning support teams and vision colleagues.
- Diana maintained confidentiality, spoke about students with respect, followed the NSW Department of Education Code of Conduct and participated in conversations regarding the Disability Discrimination Act and the Disability Standards for Education.
- Diana demonstrated a high interest in all formal and informal professional learning opportunities, actively participating with the intention of informing and improving practice.
- Resources and lesson plans prepared for this practicum support that Diana is effectively ultilising her current studies and practicum experiences to inform and refine her teaching.
- Diana is effective in transferring her own theoretical and practical knowledge about adjustments and accessibility to classroom teachers, using a professional and personable approach.
Do you consider that the Student is at risk of failing to achieve “Graduate level” by the end of their overall Practicum experience? No
Diana has an excellent understanding of the role of the Itinerant Support Teacher Vision and displays outstanding professional and interpersonal skills. Diana has demonstrated a high level of achievement in all aspects of this practicum. Thank you Diana, for your dedication and hard work during your time with Warwick Farm Vision Team. We have enjoyed having you and hope to see you again on our team.