Katie worked with 4 students directly, and observed and engaged with additional students, while on practicum.
Katie requested the IEPs of all students that she taught. She read and understood the IEPs. She qualified any information that she needed to. She then planned lessons for students that targeted specific SMART goals in progress, entirely in accordance with the IEP and therefore current student need.
Katie recorded progress against each goal in her lesson notes and fed that back to the supervising teacher. In this sense, Katie demonstrated an above graduate level understanding of the role of the IEP, its implementation in lessons, and the recording and measurement of progress while working on these goals.
Please indicate above the relevent communication compentencies demonstrated by the student.
In almost every lesson Katie:
- Checked hearing in each ear using the Ling Sounds
- Checked the FM/Roger/Mini-mic in every session
- Anecdotally monitored listening and access during sessions
- Cleverly built receptive language and listening goals into the FM check
- Demonstrated strong knowledge of the use and functionality of the range of assistive equipment used by the students she taught on practicum.
Katie consistently demonstrated the skills, abilities, knowledge, attitudes and care and empathy required of an effective experienced teacher.
- A thorough understanding of normal child development based on age and grade
- A thorough understanding of hearing impairment and the implications of to both a child's learning and therefore teaching
- A strong understanding of the IEPs and student programs
- The ability to plan and design effective lessons accordingly
- To deliver lessons that flowed naturally, were effective and engaging, and that covered the core domains required working with students with hearing impairment.
- Strong care and empathy for the children she taught.
- The ability to quickly build rapport with students and the two parents she engaged with
- Many of the fundamental requirements of effective teaching including:
- Student goal review
- Establishing teaching targets
- Activity design
- Lesson planning and design
- A range of pedagogical approaches and activities in lessons
- Effective targeted communication when teaching
- Student expectation setting supported by effective praise and reward
- Assessment and progress recording and analysis
- Professional and polite engagement with staff at all levels in the school
Katie was an effective member of the team during her 2 week practicum. She delivered great lessons to students that were completely aligned with their program. She engaged with mainstream teachers of our students, together with all other staff very well. The students liked Katie.
Katie also demonstrated a good understanding of the process of teach, review, modify and then improve and this was evident in the relatively short period of time that Katie was on practicum.
Do you consider that the Student is at risk of failing to achieve “Graduate level” by the end of their overall Practicum experience? No